Repairs under a park site agreement

Skip listen and sharing tools

Note: This page is about part 4A site agreements. These are for people who live in a residential park, own a moveable dwelling and rent the site the dwelling is on. A residential park might be a caravan park or lifestyle village. A moveable dwelling might be a pre-fab home or cabin. Site agreements cover the land that is being rented for the home. Read more about site agreements in residential parks.

Generally, all repairs to a dwelling are the site tenant’s responsibility. Any problems with the site or communal park facilities are the site owner’s responsibility.

Repairs to a dwelling 

Site tenants need to maintain their dwelling and site in good condition.

The dwelling must:

  • be kept in good condition  
  • be safe to occupy
  • not pose a significant health risk.

The site tenant must keep the site in a reasonably clean condition except where it is the site owner’s legal responsibility to keep it clean.

A site tenant must maintain both the dwelling and the site so that they do not detract from the general standard of the park as set by the site owner.

Repairs to park facilities

Any problems with the site or communal park facilities are the site owner’s responsibility and must be repaired as soon as practicable. The site owner must provide up-to-date contact details in case urgent repairs are needed.

The site tenant must notify the park operator in writing if they notice communal park facilities are damaged or are not working.

Site tenants should use the Notice to part 4A site owner (Word, 732KB) to notify the site owner when:

  • there is damage to or a breakdown of communal facilities in the park
  • the site tenant or their visitor have caused damage to a site or facility in the park.

Site tenants can now apply to Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for urgent and non-urgent repairs.

Read more about repairs to communal park facilities

Sections of the Act

If you want to know what the law says about repairs under site agreements, you can read these sections of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997:

  • 206ZM   – Site tenant must keep and leave Part 4A site reasonably clean
  • 206ZMA – Site tenant must keep Part 4A dwelling in good repair
  • 206ZV    – Site owner must keep Part 4A park clean
  • 206ZVA – Site owner must maintain and repair rented site
  • 206ZW – Duty of site owner to maintain communal areas