Changes to the law

Skip listen and sharing tools

In July 2019, the law changed. Specialist disability accommodation (SDA) became part of Victorian rental laws. The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) funds SDA.

If you live in a re-gazetted SDA and have a residential statement, your rights remain protected under the Disability Act 2006.

The Department of Health and Human Services asked for their group homes to be re-gazetted.

If you live in a home that has been re-gazetted and have a residential statement, it remains valid after 1 January 2020. Your rights continue to be protected under the Disability Act 2006.

If your SDA has not been re-gazetted, you and your provider must start a new residential agreement.

Residential agreements

There are three different types of rental agreements for SDA. You and your SDA provider must:

Information statements

There are two information statements:

  • one for the SDA residency agreement, and
  • one for the Residential tenancy agreements (short-term and long-term).

The information statement explains what is in the agreement. It also explains your rights and what you have to do during the residency. Your SDA provider must give you the agreement and information statement at the same time. They must also explain the information statement to you.

Download the:

Easy English resources

To download Easy English versions of these agreements and information statements, view Resources for SDA residents.

Support person

You may already have a support person, such as a guardian, carer, advocate, family member or friend. Your support person can help you understand the agreement and explain your rights. If you need a support person but do not have one, your provider can find one for you. This support person cannot work for your provider.

You can also find a support person, such as a Supported Independent Living (SIL) provider. SIL providers can help you with daily tasks. For more information, visit the Find a registered provider on the NDIS website.