Residents' committees and resolving disputes in parks

Skip listen and sharing tools

Residents’ committees (representing site tenants)

You must allow site tenants to form and take part in committees that represent their interests in the park, if they choose to do so.

While such groups are commonly called ‘residents’ committees’, only site tenants – not caravan park residents - have a legal right to participate in these groups.

You must provide use of suitable communal park facilities for committee meetings.

For more information, download the Residents' committees toolkit from the Housing for the Aged Action Group website

Handling disputes

It is good practice for park owners and residents or site tenants to solve any problems by coming to an agreement. This should be in writing and signed by all relevant parties.

If the park has a residents’ committee, the committee may also be able to help solve a problem that involves site tenants.

If a party wants to enforce their legal rights, they usually have to give a formal notice explaining the issue to the other party. These notices are available on our Forms and publications page.

A notice must state what the resident, site tenant or owner wants done and by when it must be done. The amount of time to comply with the notice varies and depends on the type of problem.

Organisations that may help resolve disputes

Consumer Affairs Victoria

We can give advice on a range of issues including:

  • site agreements
  • repairs and maintenance
  • rent increases
  • rights and obligations of site tenants, residents and owners
  • notice periods
  • goods left behind.

We may conciliate urgent issues but cannot force either party to resolve the issue. Our conciliation service is free.

Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (DSCV)

The DSCV provides free help resolving a wide range of issues without the parties involved having to go to court. It also provides information and training in resolving disputes. Visit the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria website.

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

VCAT hears a range of disputes, including those between park owners and residents. Although usually less formal than a court, its rulings are binding on the parties. You do not need legal representation to appear at VCAT. Visit the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal website.