Protect your business by making sure you and your staff are aware of common scams. For more information, view our Small business scams section.
To receive the latest scam warnings:
Travelling con men in caravan parks
Travelling con men often stay in caravan and holiday parks while they go about ripping off the local community.
They call or door-knock homes and businesses, offering ‘today only’ deals on jobs such as painting, roof repairs and sealing driveways.
After using high-pressure sales tactics to get payment in cash, they often leave the work unfinished or of a poor standard.
Travelling con men often target elderly or vulnerable people at home during the day.
How to spot travelling con men in your park
- Look out for large groups of people, often extended families, with vehicles containing work materials.
- They are particularly active in summer and after natural disasters, such as bushfires or floods.
Report suspected travelling con men
- Record as much information as you can, such as their name and vehicle registration.
- Call the national hotline: 1300 133 408, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays). Calling this number costs the same as a local call. Additional charges may apply if you are calling from overseas, on a mobile or payphone.
- Report them to your local police.
Stay informed about travelling con men
On this website, you can view and subscribe to our RSS feed of News updates.
If you have an account on:
Where to next: