You should always confirm the estate agent you are dealing with is licensed.
The online public register provides public access to information about licensed estate agents, agents' representatives and others involved in estate agency businesses in Victoria.
The information contained in the register is a partial extract. Full extracts, which include all current and historical information about a licensee, are available from the Business Licensing Authority (BLA) Registrar for a fee. For more information, use the BLA enquiry form or call 1300 13 54 52. Calling this number costs the same as a local call. Additional charges may apply if you are calling from overseas, on a mobile or payphone.
When searching the register, untick the box 'Only show current registrants' if searching for previous registrants.
Search the public register
There is also a rental provider register to list rental providers who have been the subject of a VCAT order or who have broken the law.
Information in the public register
The estate agents public register contains the following information:
licence number issued by the BLA
- name and registered office of licensee
- date a licence was granted, surrendered, cancelled or suspended
- licence conditions
- any tribunal or court orders concerning the estate agent or agent’s representative that affect their licence or status, of which the Registrar has notice
- any claims allowed by the Victorian Property Fund (or any fund established under a previous enactment) in relation to a licensed estate agent or agent’s representative of which the Registrar has notice
- address and telephone number of principal office of the licensed estate agent
- if the licensed estate agent has branch offices, the address of each, name of each branch manager, and the date their appointment started or finished
- if the licensed estate agent is operating under a franchise agreement, the name and address of the franchisor, and the date the franchise agreement started or finished
- if the licensed estate agent is a corporation:
- the names of each director and the dates their appointment started or finished
- the name of the officer in effective control and the dates their appointment started or finished
- if the licensed estate agent is an employee, the name and address of the employer
- if the licensed estate agent employs agents’ representatives, the name and registered address of each, and the date they started or ceased employment
- if the licensed agent employs licensed estate agents, the name of each and the date they started or ceased employment
- all business names under which estate agency business is conducted
- Australian Business Number (if any)
- the estate agency's internet site address.
The register also shows:
- details of licence applications the BLA has refused in the last two years
- details of permission determinations under section 31A, 31B or 31C of the Estate Agents Act 1980
- any other information prescribed by the regulations as forming part of the register
Subject to the Public Records Act 1973, the Registrar may remove information from the register after 12 years if, in their opinion, it is no longer necessary or desirable to retain it.
The registers are only as accurate as the information provided to us. The BLA tries to obtain accurate and up-to-date information during and after the registration process.
There may be a short delay between when the BLA receives information and when you can see it in the register.
Decisions may be subject to review
Many of the BLA's decisions can be reviewed by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). You can apply to VCAT to review the BLA’s reviewable decisions within 28 days of the date of the decision.
The register will reflect the BLA’s decision pending the outcome of the review, unless VCAT suspends the BLA 's decision until the end of the review proceedings.
If you wish to use information from a public register in legal proceedings, obtain a Registrar's certificate by calling the BLA on 1300 13 54 52. Calling this number costs the same as a local call. Additional charges may apply if you are calling from overseas, on a mobile or payphone.
Request bulk public register information
To request bulk public register information, you must set out the intended use in writing to the Registrar, who will take into account the purpose of the request in view of the strict requirements of the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 and relevant business licensing legislation. Fees may also apply.
The BLA will not release the information for use in direct marketing or similar commercial activities.
For more information, you can use the BLA enquiry form or call 1300 135 452. Calling this number costs the same as a local call. Additional charges may apply if you are calling from overseas, on a mobile or payphone.