Complaint handling and dispute resolution - owners corporation managers

Skip listen and sharing tools

Applying to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

An owners corporation must follow its internal grievance procedure before making an application to VCAT.

The tribunal can take a complaint from:

  • a manager or former manager
  • a lot owner or former lot owner
  • the owners corporation
  • the occupier or former occupier of a lot
  • a mortgagee of a lot
  • an insurer under a policy taken out by the owners corporation
  • the Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria.

To apply to VCAT, visit the Owners corporations page on the VCAT website.

Estimated timeframes to VCAT

COVID-19 has impacted normal timeframes for residential tenancy hearings. VCAT prioritises cases that the renting laws say must be heard within a certain time, and those considered urgent.

To learn more about whether your type of dispute is impacted, visit VCAT hearings during COVID-19 restrictions.

What VCAT can do

The tribunal can impose penalties for breaches of rules and make other orders, including:

  • ordering someone to do something
  • requiring the payment of money owed, as damages or restitution
  • varying or ordering a term of a contract as void
  • appointing or removing a manager
  • appointing or removing a chairperson or secretary
  • appointing an administrator.