Register a retirement village

Skip listen and sharing tools

When you establish a retirement village, you must give a register notification to the Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria. We will then list the village on the public register of retirement villages.

Under the Retirement Villages Act 1986, a retirement village is a community where:

  • most residents are 55 years or older or are retired from full-time employment (or are spouses/partners of such people)
  • residents receive accommodation and services, other than services provided in a residential care or aged care facility, and
  • at least one of the residents, as a contractual condition of entering the retirement village, paid an ingoing contribution that was not rent. It does not matter who made that payment, or whether it was a lump sum or by instalments. 

How to register

Complete the Retirement village register notification (Word, 123KB) and submit it according to the instructions on the form.

There is no fee to register.

We will send you a letter to confirm we received your notification form. We may contact you for more information.

Once we have received all the required information, we will update the public register (normally within five working days) and send you a letter of acknowledgement.

Where to next: