Travel and event arrangements

Skip listen and sharing tools

We can help with travel and event arrangement issues in an emergency, such as a storm, flood, bushfire, earthquake or pandemic.

Events and coronavirus (COVID-19)

If an event cannot go ahead due to coronavirus (COVID-19), consumers are entitled to a refund for any services not provided. Organisers may deduct reasonable expenses they have already incurred from any refund. Organisers should have clear refund policies and processes in place, to ensure they meet their obligations.

We recommend buying tickets to events from authorised sellers. Tickets sold by unauthorised sellers are not always legitimate. This could make it difficult to get a refund in the event of a cancellation. If purchasing online, use a secure connection.

Insurance may provide further protection for consumers who cannot attend an event due to coronavirus (COVID-19). Check any exclusions carefully, as many policies do not cover known events.

Sporting events and memberships

Public sporting events may be cancelled due to coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions. Check your membership or ticket terms and conditions for the seller’s refund policy.

With sports memberships, clubs should clarify which services are being cancelled because of restrictions. This may be a ‘frustrated contract’ in which case, you are entitled to a refund for any services not provided. Clubs may deduct reasonable expenses they have already incurred.

Postponing or cancelling a trip

If a natural disaster, such as a bushfire or flood, occurs in the area you plan to travel to and you need to postpone or cancel your trip, you have rights under the Australian Consumer Law.

There may also be other instances when you are required to leave an area, or are prevented from entering it in the first place, such as when:

  • the accommodation has been destroyed
  • access roads have been closed
  • the authorities have advised that the area is not safe to enter.

These are examples of a ‘frustrated contract’, which means it is impossible to perform or carry out the contract due to events beyond the control of all parties.

In such a case your contract obligations would be automatically extinguished.

Not every situation will involve a frustrated contract, so you may still have to go ahead with a booking, possibly with changes.

If you have to cancel accommodation because of a flight disruption, contact your travel agent or accommodation provider as soon as possible to inform them of the situation and negotiate a refund or re-booking. You should also contact the provider of any other holiday bookings (for example, tours and car hire).

For further information, view the Tourism businesses page on our website.

People facing disruption or cancellation of their travel plans should contact their airline or other travel provider for the latest information.

Refunds and rescheduling of flights

Contact your airline prior to your flight date to check whether your flight has been delayed or cancelled. If it has, some airlines offer options including refunds and rescheduling.

Travel insurance claims

If you cannot resolve a dispute directly with your airline, accommodation provider or event organiser, contact your insurer. You should check the terms and conditions of your policy to see whether you are covered for individual circumstances.

Rental vehicle damage

If your hire car has been damaged during a disaster, you will need to check the rental car contract – it will include terms about damage and your liabilities.

Credit card deductions for damage should only be made after the hire company provides an itemised bill and a reasonable opportunity for you to dispute any charge.

Any insurance or excess fees you have paid in hiring the car will not fully cover you for damage – it will only reduce the amount you may have to pay if the car is damaged in your possession. This fee will limit your liability to a particular amount – usually between $3000 and $5000.

These ‘damage reduction’ options only reduce your liability in limited circumstances – often, you will not be covered for natural disasters.

If possible, take photographs of the car before you return it. Make sure you are present when it is inspected.

If you have booked the car through a travel agent, check whether your travel insurance covers any excess or damage.

How we can help

We cannot tell travel-related businesses, including airlines, how to manage their business but we can help resolve disputes. For more information, view our Resolve your problem or complaint page.

Travel insurance disputes can be referred to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority on 1800 931 678 and free legal advice is available from the Insurance Law Service on 1300 663 464.

If you paid with a credit card for services that were not provided, you may be able to claim a chargeback through your credit card provider. For more information, view our Chargeback page.