Non-urgent repairs

Skip listen and sharing tools

On this page:

What is a non-urgent repair?

Under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997, a non-urgent repair is any repair that falls outside the definition of an urgent repair. For a full list of urgent repairs, view Urgent repairs.

References in this section to landlords also apply to owners and agents, if one has been engaged to manage the property.

It is the landlord's responsibility to ensure a rented property is maintained in good repair.

If a tenant or resident requests non-urgent repairs, the landlord must respond promptly.

All repairs are the landlord's responsibility, but if the tenant or resident caused the damage, the landlord can ask them to arrange or pay for repairs.

Tenants and residents must continue paying rent when they are waiting for repairs to be done.

It is important for the landlord and tenant to communicate all information about repairs in writing, and to keep copies for future reference.

For information on repairs relating to sites under a site agreement, view Repairs under a site agreement.

How to request a non-urgent repair

To arrange non-urgent repairs, notify the landlord in writing, advising them what needs to be repaired and giving them 14 days to carry out the work. Include the date of your request, so it is clear when this 14-day period will expire.

We recommend giving the landlord written notice using one of our forms:

If the landlord does not respond

If you have taken reasonable steps to advise the landlord of the repairs in writing and they have failed to respond within the 14-day time frame, you can contact us on 1300 55 81 81 for information and advice. Calling us costs the same as a local call. Additional charges may apply if you are calling from overseas, on a mobile or payphone.

If you are unsure whether it is the landlord's responsibility to fix the problem, you can ask us to carry out an investigation for a non-urgent repair. To do this, you will need to send us a:

You may also request an investigation into whether the landlord has failed in their duty to ensure that the property is maintained in good order, using the same form.

Apply to VCAT for a repair order

If the landlord still does not carry out the repairs, you have 60 days from when you receive a copy of our report to apply to VCAT for a repair order. Use VCAT's Application by a tenant or landlord, or call 1300 01 8228 (1300 01 VCAT). Calling this number costs the same as a local call. Additional charges may apply if you call from overseas, on a mobile or payphone.

While the issue is unresolved, you can apply for the rent or hiring charges to be paid into VCAT's Rent Special Account.