Claiming the bond - tenants and residents

Skip listen and sharing tools

Agreeing on the bond

When your lease ends, you should discuss with the landlord/property manager or owner how to divide the bond money. Usually they will inspect the property and identify any reasons to claim all, or part of, the bond. Reasons could include property damage, the property is not reasonably clean, there are unpaid bills, or keys have not been returned.

The bond claim submitted to the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) must include the agreed bond amount for each party. 

Note: if a bond is a loan from the Director of Housing, you cannot provide authority for any bond money to be paid to the landlord. You or the landlord must apply for a hearing at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). Learn more about this through our Director of Housing bond loans page.