Claiming the bond - tenants and residents

Skip listen and sharing tools

Claiming the bond - overview

When your lease ends you may receive all or some of the bond back. The landlord/property manager or owner may want to claim money from the bond to - for example - cover any damage to the property.

Note: You cannot pay your final rent using the bond. The bond and rent are separate payments. Tenants or residents may be fined for treating any part of the bond as rent. This includes if the lease is in its last month.

The Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) holds all Victorian residential tenancy bonds. This includes bonds on rented premises, long-term caravans, rooming houses (buildings where one or more rooms are available to rent, and four or more people in total can occupy those rooms) and sites under site agreements.  For more information, view our Residential Tenancies Bond Authority page.