Claiming the bond - tenants and residents

Skip listen and sharing tools

Problems with claiming the bond after a tenancy or residency ends

If you cannot agree on the bond

If you and your landlord/property manager or owner cannot agree on the division of the bond, you can apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a hearing. Application forms are available from the VCAT website or by calling 1300 01 8228 (1300 01 VCAT). Calling this number costs the same as a local call. Additional charges may apply if you call from overseas, on a mobile or payphone.

As a tenant or resident, you can apply to VCAT for a hearing relating to bonds at any time after the tenancy or residency ends.

If you receive an order from VCAT directing the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) to release the funds, you must complete a paper bond claim form. 

You must send the RTBA a:

  • completed bond claim form
  • VCAT order
  • photocopy of photo ID that shows your signature (this signature will be matched to the bond claim form)

You do not need the signature of the landlord/property manager or owner.

If signatures do not match - paper submission only

If you submit your bond claim on paper, the RTBA will match the signatures of all parties with the signatures on the bond lodgement or tenant transfer forms.

If the signatures do not match, the RTBA will usually return the bond claim form to the landlord/property manager or owner for them to re-submit it. The RTBA will include instructions on how to re-submit the form. 

Talk to your property manager about electronic bond transactions to avoid the hassle of a paper form. 

Change of name

If you change your name during your tenancy or residency, you can request that your property manager submit the bond claim or transfer on a paper form with a copy of the marriage certificate or change of name certificate attached.

If a party to the bond cannot sign the form

Landlords and property managers should submit bond claims and tenant transfers electronically. This removes the need for tenants to sign any forms, as tenants instead receive an email with a link to accept the transaction.

If a party cannot be contacted, an application should be made by either the tenant or landlord to VCAT seeking an order instructing the RTBA how to repay or transfer the bond.

Where to next: