Possession orders (eviction)

Skip listen and sharing tools

When a landlord or owner can apply for a possession order

A landlord or owner can apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a warrant of possession (also referred to as a possession order) if a tenant or resident has:

  • been given the appropriate notice to vacate a property, rooming house, caravan park, or site under site agreement, and
  • not left by the end of the due date.

For more information, visit the Application by a tenant or landlord page on the VCAT website.

This order may instruct the tenant or resident to vacate. It may also allow the landlord to obtain a warrant, which may then be executed by Victoria Police to evict the tenant or resident.

Landlords or owners cannot personally use force to remove a tenant or resident if they refuse to leave the property. Only Victoria Police can carry out a forcible eviction, and only when they are acting on a VCAT order.

When a tenant or resident has been served with a notice to vacate, the landlord or owner can also apply to VCAT for a possession order to have the tenant or resident evicted.

A possession order does not give the landlord or agent the right to remove the tenant's belongings. For information on handling anything a tenant leaves behind, view our Goods left behind by tenants page.

If you are facing eviction 

If you are a tenant or resident facing eviction and do not know what to do, call us or a tenancy advocacy service such as Tenants Victoria as soon as possible. For more information, view our Emergencies and urgent issues page.

Where to next: 

var axel = Math.random() + "";var a = axel * 10000000000000;document.write('');