Goods left behind in SDA

Skip listen and sharing tools

The information on this page applies to SDA residency agreements. If you and the resident signed a residential tenancy agreement, view Goods left behind by renters.

What are goods left behind?

Goods left behind include any belongings the resident left in the property after the agreement ended and they moved out.

Personal documents include:

  • official documents – such as your passport, driver’s licence or other ID
  • photographs
  • images on still and video cameras
  • files on computer hard drives
  • any other document a person would keep.

What do I do if there are goods left behind?

If the resident leaves any goods behind when they move out, you must give them a Notice of goods left behind (SDA) (Word, 664KB).

If they have left personal documents behind, you must give the resident a Notice of personal documents left behind SDA (Word, 660KB).

Easy English versions 

Download the:

The resident should then get in touch to organise a time to collect their goods.

How long should I store their goods?

You must look after their goods for 14 days from the date they get the notice of goods left behind.

Can I sell or throw the goods out?

If the resident does not collect their goods by the date on the notice, you can sell or get rid of them appropriately where they have no monetary value, are dangerous or consist of perishable food.

If you sell the goods, the resident can ask for the proceeds of the sale, minus your out of pocket costs. They must do this within six months of the sale.

If you damage, sell or throw out their goods in a way that is against the law, the resident can apply to VCAT for compensation. They can also apply for compensation if you do not let them collect their goods.