Complaint handling and dispute resolution - estate agent obligations

Skip listen and sharing tools


An agency authority must contain details of where a client can lodge a complaint about commission and/or outgoings. An estate agency must also have a procedure in place for resolving consumer complaints and disputes.

An estate agent or agent’s representative must advise a client about these procedures before the client signs an agency authority, or as soon as possible after.

If a client (seller or landlord) or consumer (buyer or tenant) makes a complaint, an agent must inform them of the agency’s complaints and disputes procedures as soon as possible. Estate agents and agent’s representatives must make every effort to minimise and resolve disputes about their performance.

Agencies can purchase the Australian Standard complaint handling system (AS 4608-2004) through Standards Australia or develop their own internal system.

For more information, download a copy of the Sample estate agency complaint handling and dispute resolution policy (Word, 42KB).

Resolve a dispute with an estate agent

For tips to help you resolve a complaint or dispute with an estate agent or agent's representative, view our Resolve your problem or complaint page.

If this does not resolve the issue, you can speak with our Estate Agents Resolution Service (EARS) by calling 1300 737 030. Calling us costs the same as a local call. Additional charges may apply if you are calling from overseas, on a mobile or payphone.

EARS is a dedicated service for advice, information, complaints and dispute resolution on real estate matters. It also advises estate agents and agent’s representatives on their obligations to buyers, sellers or landlords.

Where to next: