Estate agent complaint

Skip listen and sharing tools

Before you lodge a complaint

When to use this form

If you are a property buyer, seller or a landlord, you can use this online form to make a formal complaint about a Victorian estate agent.

Note: If you are a tenant, view our Resolving renting disputes page.

If you would like to report any unfair practices by an estate agent, such as underquoting, view our Report unfair business practices page.

Use this form if you have:

  • been unable to resolve the problem directly with the agent or agency. If you have not attempted to do this, we will not be able to take your complaint further
  • contacted us on 1300 55 81 81 for information or advice, and the matter is still unresolved. Calling us costs the same as a local call. Additional charges may apply if you are calling from overseas, on a mobile or payphone. This line provides information and advice on real estate matters, dispute resolution services, and complaints. We also advise estate agents and agents’ representatives on their obligations to buyers, sellers or landlords.

What to include

The more information you give us, the more quickly and accurately we can assess your complaint and give you specific advice for your problem. Please also provide a daytime phone number.

Before you begin this online form, make sure you have the following information:

  • name and contact number of the estate agent and estate agency
  • address of the estate agency
  • date the problem occurred
  • any contracts or agreements in place
  • any payments made.

How to lodge an estate agent complaint

Open the complaint form

Note: This form has three stages and you have 20 minutes to complete each stage. Each stage will automatically refresh after 20 minutes and clear all data.

What happens after you lodge a complaint

After you submit this form, we will assess your complaint against the criteria set out in our Regulatory approach and compliance policy.

When assessing complaints, our focus is to help consumers that are at most risk or harm and to act on issues that have the potential to cause widespread harm to Victorians.

You will hear from us if:

  • you have completed Steps 1 to 3 on our Resolve your problem or complaint page and contacted us, and the matter remains unresolved
  • we decide the complaint requires our involvement, or is likely to be resolved with our involvement
  • there is evidence of the estate agency or agency not complying with our laws
  • there is potential the issue may have a broader impact or cause widespread harm to Victorians
  • we are the most appropriate organisation for the issue outlined in your complaint.

You may not hear from us if:

  • you have not tried to resolve the matter yourself first
  • you have already lodged a complaint with us about this issue and we were unable to resolve it, or we did not accept the complaint
  • you have applied to have the matter heard at a tribunal, such as the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), or a court, or the matter has already been through a tribunal or a court.