You are not required to disclose any information in relation to a spent conviction to the Business Licensing Authority. Please view Spent convictions for more information.
Reasons for requiring permission
Certain circumstances disqualify you from:
- holding a motor car trader's licence
- working for a motor car trader in a customer service capacity
- being a partner or director, or involved in the management of a motor car trader business.
You may apply to the Business Licensing Authority (BLA) for permission if one or more of the following disqualifying circumstances apply to you:
- you have had a claim against you admitted by the Motor Car Traders Guarantee Fund
- within the last 10 years, you have been convicted or found guilty of a disqualifying offence involving fraud, dishonesty, drug trafficking or violence punishable by 3 months or more in prison. For information about spent convictions, view Spent convictions.
You are automatically disqualified and cannot apply for permission if one or more of the following disqualification circumstances apply to you:
- you are bankrupt or insolvent under administration (including Part IX and Part X arrangements); or
- either as an individual or director of a company, disqualified from holding a motor car trader's licence (or equivalent) anywhere in Australia or elsewhere, or the subject of an order by any regulatory body disqualifying you from acting as a motor car trader or equivalent; or
- a represented person under the Guardianship and Administration Act 1986 (where a guardian or administrator has been appointed)?
You must immediately notify the BLA in writing if you become disqualified, by using the BLA enquiry form.
If you are unsure whether you are disqualified or require permission, we recommend that you seek independent legal advice.
Apply for permission
You must use our online myCAV system to apply for permission. You will need to create your own myCAV account using a personal email address to verify your identity and sign in to your account.
If you already have a myCAV account, sign into your account and select ‘Apply for permission’.
You must then complete and lodge a motor car trader permission application, including attaching the relevant supplementary permission application form.
Additional supporting documentation will be required, and these are set out in the supplementary permission application form.
The BLA will take into consideration whether you have disclosed disqualifying offences as required in determining whether to grant you a motor car trader’s licence. You are not required to disclose any information in relation to a spent conviction to the BLA. For more information, view Spent convictions.
There is a fee for requesting permission. For current fee amounts, view Fees and forms.
Supplementary permission application forms
You must complete the relevant supplementary permission application form and attach it to your application in myCAV along with any other supporting information requested.
Additional documents required with the application
Lodge these documents with your permission application:
- Completed Consent to national criminal history and other records checks (Word, 235KB).
- Four identity documents that have been certified by an authorised person. For more information on the documents required, visit our Records checks - licensed and registered businesses page.
- Two written character references.
- If you are applying for permission to work in a customer service capacity of a motor car trader, you should provide a letter from your proposed employer confirming they:
- are aware that you are making this permission application, and
- are prepared to employ you to work in a customer service capacity in their motor car trading business if you are granted permission by the Business Licensing Authority.
- If you are a company director, provide a letter signed by every director of the company confirming they are aware of your application for permission.
- If you are a partner, provide a letter signed by every partner of the partnership confirming they are aware of you application for permission.
- If you are an existing licensed motor car trader, you must provide a profit, loss and balance sheet for:
- the last full financial year (up to 30 June), and
- the current financial year (from 1 July to the date of this application).
- Any additional papers you wish to attach.