Surrender or cancellation of licence - motor car traders

Skip listen and sharing tools


You can surrender your motor car trader's licence by complete and lodging one of the following:

Note: these forms require the latest version of Adobe Reader to be installed on your PC. To download for free, visit the Adobe Reader download page on the Adobe website.

The forms are compatible with the following web browsers:

  • Firefox 19 or later
  • Internet Explorer 8 or later

You must return your licence certificate within 14 days to:

Business Licensing Authority
GPO Box 322
Melbourne  VIC 3001

If you no longer possess your licence, you will need to fill out a statutory declaration explaining why you are unable to return it.

If you surrender your licence and then decide to re-apply in future, you will be issued with a new Licensed Motor Car Trader (LMCT) number.


Your licence will be automatically cancelled if you:

  • do not comply with both your annual statement and licence fee requirements
  • become insolvent under administration (this includes if you are an undischarged bankrupt)
  • become an externally administered company
  • become a represented person under the Guardianship and Administration Act 1986.

Your licence will be cancelled after 30 days if you are a sole trader, partner or director, and you are:

  • disqualified from holding a licence
  • convicted or found guilty of a serious offence (regardless of whether a conviction was recorded), unless you lodge an application for permission to continue holding a licence (in such cases, you may continue trading until the Business Licensing Authority (BLA) makes a formal decision).

You must return a suspended or cancelled licence certificate to the BLA within:

  • the period specified by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) if it suspends or cancels the licence, or
  • seven days of becoming aware of the suspension or cancellation.

If your licence is cancelled and you are granted a new licence in the future, you will be issued with a new LMCT number.

Where to next: