You are not required to disclose any information in relation to a spent conviction to the Business Licensing Authority. Please review the Spent Convictions Act 2021 page on the Department of Justice and Community Safety website for more information. You should seek legal advice if you believe you have a conviction that may be a spent conviction.
If you believe you may need to apply for permission or otherwise have questions regarding your eligibility, please contact the Business Licensing Authority using the online BLA enquiry form.
Apply for permission
To apply for permission to hold an owners corporation manager registration, you must complete and submit the owners corporation manager permission application form. The form is also found on Fees and forms – owners corporation managers.
Additional supporting documentation will be required, and these are set out in the permission application form.
In giving its permission, the BLA may impose any conditions it considers appropriate to ensure the ongoing protection of the public interest.
Individuals and companies with an application or registration date on or after 1 December 2021
You must lodge a permission application to be registered or to continue to be registered as an owners corporation manager if you as an individual or one of the company directors has been convicted or found guilty of the following offences within the last 10 years:
- An offence involving fraud, dishonesty, drug cultivation or trafficking.
- An offence involving sexual slavery or servitude.
- An offence involving child pornography or violence.
- A sexual offence or an offence connected with sex work.
- An offence committed outside Victoria that would constitute an offence referred to any of the examples above, if it was committed in this state.
The offences must have been punishable by a prison term of three months or more when the person was found guilty or convicted.
Individuals and companies with a registration date before 1 December 2021
You must lodge a permission application to continue to be registered as an owners corporation manager if on or after 1 December 2021 you as an individual or as one of the company directors are convicted or found guilty of the offences described above.
More information about permission applications
- If you do not apply for permission within 30 days of the conviction or finding of guilt, your registration is automatically cancelled.
- If you lodge a permission application within 30 days, you can continue to act as an owners corporation manager until the BLA has made its decision.
- If you become a represented person or insolvent under administration or an externally administered body corporate, your registration is automatically cancelled. You cannot apply for permission to continue to be registered as an owners corporation manager.
- Your registration as a manager is automatically cancelled 30 days after you fail to be covered by professional indemnity insurance. You cannot apply for permission to continue be registered as an owners corporation manager.