Surrender, suspension or cancellation of your registration or endorsement

Skip listen and sharing tools


You may, at any time, surrender your registration. You must have the consent of the Business Licensing Authority (BLA) to do so.

If you are endorsed to work in the building industry and you surrender your registration, your endorsement is also surrendered.

You can surrender just your endorsement but keep your registration. If you surrender your endorsement, you cannot work in the building industry.

You must have the consent of the BLA and Victorian Building Authority (VBA) to surrender your endorsement.

You may be entitled to a partial refund of your registration and endorsement renewal fees. Send a request to the BLA using the BLA enquiry form.

Suspension and cancellation

Your registration and your endorsement, if applicable, may be fully or partially suspended for a specified period, or cancelled as a result of disciplinary proceedings by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). For more information, view Penalties.

Your endorsement, but not your registration, will automatically be suspended:

  • if you do not lodge your annual endorsement statement and pay the fee
  • if you do not have the professional indemnity insurance required under the Building Act 1993, and
  • when you change your registration type from practising to non-practising.

Please note: Your endorsement will be re-instated if you apply through myCAV and provide evidence that you have the required professional indemnity insurance.

Endorsed engineers can find information on insurance requirements on the VBA website. To dispute a suspension due to being uninsured, please contact the VBA.

If your registration or endorsement is suspended, you must still renew your registration or endorsement when it falls due.