You are not required to disclose any information in relation to a spent conviction to the Business Licensing Authority. Please view the Spent convictions page for more information.
Reasons for requiring permission
Certain circumstances disqualify you from:
- holding a motor car trader's licence
- working for a motor car trader in a customer service capacity
- being a partner or director, or involved in the management of a motor car trader business.
You may apply to the Business Licensing Authority (BLA) for permission if one or more of the following disqualifying circumstances apply to you:
- you have had a claim against you admitted by the Motor Car Traders Guarantee Fund
- within the last 10 years, you have been convicted or found guilty of a disqualifying offence involving fraud, dishonesty, drug trafficking or violence punishable by 3 months or more in prison. It must not be a spent conviction within the meaning of the Spent Convictions Act 2021 (Vic) or any equivalent law of a state or territory of Australia or of the Commonwealth. For more information, view the Spent convictions page.
Apply for permission
Complete and lodge a Motor car traders application for permission (Word, 444KB).
If you are a new applicant, lodge the permission application with your licence application.
The BLA will take into consideration whether you have disclosed disqualifying offences as required in determining whether to grant you a motor car trader’s licence. You are not required to disclose any information in relation to a spent conviction to the BLA. For more information, view Spent convictions.
There is a fee for requesting permission. For current fee amounts, view Fees and forms.
Additional documents required with the application
Lodge these documents with your permission application:
- Completed Consent to national criminal history and other records checks (Word, 235KB).
- Certified copies of the required identification documents.
- Two written character references.
- If you are applying for permission to work in a customer service capacity of a motor car trader, you should provide a letter from your proposed employer confirming they:
- are aware that you are making this permission application, and
- are prepared to employ you to work in a customer service capacity in their motor car trading business if you are granted permission by the Business Licensing Authority.
- If you are a company director, provide a letter signed by every director of the company confirming they are aware of your application for permission.
- If you are a partner, provide a letter signed by every partner of the partnership confirming they are aware of you application for permission.
- If you are an existing licensed motor car trader, you must provide a profit, loss and balance sheet for:
- the last full financial year (up to 30 June), and
- the current financial year (from 1 July to the date of this application).
- Any additional papers you wish to attach.