Scammers target Victorian consumers with a range of schemes that can be hard to spot.
Stevie, our reformed scammer, wants to show you how scams work, so you can protect yourself and warn others.
Stevie will walk you through six of the most common ‘advance fee frauds’. Select the links below to play Stevie’s videos:
- Be wary of online sellers offering goods and well-known brands at extremely low prices.
- Do not provide an up-front payment to a stranger via money order or wire transfer.
- When selling items online, do not follow the links in a payment notification email to check whether the payment has arrived - log into your account directly.
- With online dating, do not send money to someone you have never met, even if you have spoken to them or received gifts.
- Always inspect a property you want to rent before sending any money.
- Be wary of unsolicited emails, phone calls or letters saying you have unclaimed funds or are owed money.
- Do not let anyone pressure you into making quick investment decisions.
- Never send off money or bank details to claim a prize.