Register as a fundraiser

Skip listen and sharing tools

All charities registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission can benefit from reduced reporting and renewal requirements when fundraising in Victoria. View more information for existing and new fundraisers on Charities. 

On this page:

How to register

You must use our online myCAV system to complete and lodge your application to register as a fundraiser.

You should apply to register at least 28 days before you intend to start fundraising.

Apply for registration via myCAV

You must attach the following forms to your myCAV application:

  1. Download and complete the Criminal record and personal insolvency declaration (Word, 53KB). This declaration must be completed by all:
    • individual applicants
    • directors of a company applicant
    • people nominated as appeal managers (any person who has managerial or financial responsibility for any fundraising activities)
    • people nominated as an associate (any other person who is involved in the organisation's management. This includes all company directors, CEOs, and all committee members of an incorporated association or unincorporated body (such as president, vice president, treasurer and secretary).
  2. If you plan to distribute money overseas, you will need to attach a letter of verification from one of the following:
    • the government, local embassy or consulate of the country in which the money will be distributed
    • the Australian embassy in the country where the money will be distributed
    • a recognised aid provider in the area (for example, Red Cross or World Vision).

To be eligible to register as a fundraiser in Victoria, you must provide a Victorian address as the fundraiser’s principal place of business. PO boxes cannot be accepted.

There is no fee to register as a fundraiser.

Emergency appeals

If you want to raise funds for victims of an emergency, such as a natural disaster, you can make an urgent application in myCAV to register as a fundraiser.

To make an urgent application, include with your Application for fundraiser registration or renewal a statement telling us why your application is urgent.

We will respond to your application as soon as possible - please check your myCAV notifications.

Appoint a responsible person – incorporated associations only

For an association incorporated outside Victoria to become registered as a fundraiser in Victoria, it must appoint a responsible person as part of the fundraiser registration application in myCAV.

The responsible person must be a member of the association’s governing body and must complete a Responsible person consent form (Word, 63KB). This form must be attached to your application in myCAV.

After you lodge your application

It normally takes 28 days for us to complete your registration, providing you meet relevant requirements and supply all the information requested on the application form.

Urgent applications

You can make an urgent application for your registration to be processed in less than 28 days, but only in special circumstances.

You must provide a statement, as part of your application in myCAV, telling us why your application is urgent.

Application responses

Within 21 days of us receiving the application, we will notify you in myCAV either:

  • confirming the registration
  • confirming/approving the registration with conditions
  • requesting further information, or
  • informing you that you are not eligible to be registered and cannot conduct any fundraising appeals.

You must only proceed with your fundraising appeal after you receive a myCAV notification advising that you are registered, with or without conditions. Please check your myCAV notifications.

Appealing a decision

If you disagree with a decision made by Consumer Affairs Victoria, you can appeal within 28 days to VCAT.

Registration period

The normal registration period is three years. To continue fundraising after that date, you must renew your registration in myCAV.

The Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria can approve longer registration periods on a case-by-case basis. To apply, you must respond to each of the following points:

  • whether your fundraising organisation operates in more than one State of Territory
  • the structure of the organisation (that is, its governance arrangements)
  • the stability of the organisation. For example, how well established and well known it is
  • whether you are engaged in or proposing long-term projects
  • whether your appeal has clearly defined beneficiaries
  • provide an estimate of the proportion of funds you expect to distribute to beneficiaries during your registration, and show that this estimate is reasonably predictable.