Disposing of medium-value uncollected goods

Skip listen and sharing tools

This information relates to:

Goods worth $200 or more, but less than $5,000.

It does not relate to motor vehicles.

For information about goods worth less than $200, view Low-value goods and vehicles.

For information about uncollected vehicles worth:

Giving written notice

Before a business can take steps to dispose of any uncollected goods, it must give written notice of the intention to do so to:

  • the person who left the goods with the business, and
  • the owner (if the business knows know this is not the person who left the goods).

This notice must include certain information - view Written notice of intention to dispos.

Holding the goods

After giving written notice, a business must retain the goods for a further 28 days. The business can then dispose of the items, unless the consumer has collected them or given delivery instructions.

If the business cannot contact the person who left the goods with it, despite making reasonable attempts to notify them in writing, it must wait 90 days before taking steps to dispose of the items.

Disposing of the goods

A business cannot keep medium-value uncollected goods for its own use. It can only dispose of them by public auction or private sale.

A business must take reasonable care to ensure that the goods are sold for the best price that can reasonably be obtained under the circumstances at the time of sale.

The business must record certain details about the goods after disposal. For more information, view Records of disposal.

Any money left over after selling the goods, and paying the relevant charge and disposal costs, is ‘unclaimed money’. The business must handle it according to rules set by the Unclaimed Money Act 2008. For more information, visit the State Revenue Office website.

If the sale does not cover the relevant charge and disposal costs, the business may pursue owner or person who left the goods for the debt in court.

For more about the relevant charge, view Relevant charge.


If you are having a dispute with a business about a problem with a product, see Resolve your problem or complaint