Changes to the law

Skip listen and sharing tools

The information on this page applies to SDA provider. If you are an SDA resident, view Changes to the law - information for residents.

In July 2019, the law changed and specialist disability accommodation (SDA) became part of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997. We now regulate SDA under Victorian renting laws. The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) funds SDA.

This will affect:

Residential agreements

If your SDA has been regazetted by the DHHS, the rules and duties set out in the Disability Act 2006 still apply to existing residential statements.

For more information, see Re-gazettal of SDA on Obligations of SDA providers - what you need to do.

There are three types of residency agreements available for SDA.

Non-gazetted SDA

You and the resident must do one of the following:

Information statements

Each type of agreement has a matching information statement that explains it and outlines both your and the resident’s rights and responsibilities.

You must give the resident an agreement and its information statement at the same time. 

Download the:

Easy English

To download Easy English versions of the agreements and information statements, view Resources for SDA providers.

Support person

The resident may choose a support person to help them understand the agreement and their rights and responsibilities. A support person can be a family member, trusted friend, advocate, carer, guardian or Supported Independent Living (SIL) provider. For more information, view What you need to know as a support person.

A SIL provider supports SDA residents with daily tasks and helps them to develop skills to live as independently as possible. For more information, visit NDIS.