For residents

Skip listen and sharing tools

Main differences between the types of agreements

The SDA residency agreement is new. It is designed for SDA and gives you greater protections.

Victorian tenants use Residential tenancy agreements to rent a standard home.

This table shows the main differences between the two types of agreements.

SDA residency agreement Residential tenancy agreement
You do not pay a bond.

You can be asked to pay a bond.

A bond acts as a security that you will carry out your duties in the agreement. If you do this, you will likely get all your bond back at the end of the agreement.

Your provider may claim some or all the bond at the end of your agreement if you:

  • do not keep the home clean
  • cause damage to the home
  • owe rent.

For more information, view our Lodging the bond page.

Your provider can increase the rent every six months. Your provider can increase the rent every 12 months. For more information, view our Rent increases page.

You do not have to pay for damage to the property if the damage is because of:

  • fair wear and tear
  • your disability
  • reasonable use of the property or room.

You must take reasonable care to avoid damaging the property. You will have to pay for any damage you cause, except fair wear and tear.

Your provider can claim part or all your bond to repair any damage.

They can also make a claim at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

You can end the agreement at any time by giving your provider a Notice of intention to vacate.


If it is a fixed-term agreement, you cannot end the agreement before the lease end date. If you do, your provider may charge you lease-break fees.

View our Tenant giving notice of intention to vacate page.

Your provider cannot ask you to leave the property without first finding you somewhere temporary and suitable to live.

Your provider can give you a Notice to vacate for a few reasons.

To see these reasons, view our Landlord giving notice to vacate page.