Apply for recognition of an overseas estate agent’s licence

Skip listen and sharing tools

On this page:

Before starting your application


You may be eligible to apply for a Victorian estate agent's licence if you hold or have previously held an equivalent licence overseas. You will need to:

  1. provide copies of the equivalent licensing or registration documents
  2. outline the duties you perform or performed
  3. satisfy the Business Licensing Authority (BLA) that you have adequate knowledge of Victorian estate agency law, practice and procedure, including accounting.

Generally, there are two ways you may satisfy the BLA that you have adequate knowledge:

1. Confirm you have completed specific units from the Certificate IV in Property Services (Real Estate)

Current course

Applicants need to have completed the following six units from the Certificate IV in Property Services (Real Estate):

  • CPPDSM4080A Work in the real estate industry (agent's representative unit)
  • CPPDSM4008A Identify legal and ethical requirements of property sales to complete agency work (agent's representative unit)
  • CPPDSM4007A Identify legal and ethical requirements of property management to complete agency work (agent's representative unit)
  • CPPDSM4006A Establish and manage agency trust accounts
  • CPPDSM4022A Sell and finalise the sale of property by private treaty
  • CPPDSM4005A Establish and build client–agency relationships.
  • based on Victorian estate agency law, practice and procedure, including accounting
  • completed at an approved registered training organisation.

These units must be:

Previously available courses

These remain valid qualifications to meet the prescribed educational requirements.

Course in Property (Agents' Representatives) plus the following four units from the Certificate IV in Property (Real Estate Agency Practice):

  • PRDRE28A Maintain trust accounts
  • PRDRE15A Undertake property sales by private treaty
  • PRDRE16A Monitor sales process
  • PRDRE23A Maintain agency/client relationship.


Course in Real Estate for Agents' Representatives plus the following three units from the Certificate IV in Business (Estate Agency Practice):

  • ABH504 Real estate accounting
  • ABH511 Property law (units 3 and 4 only)
  • ABH522 Contracts for the sale of land.

2. Prepare a detailed submission in which you aim to satisfy the BLA that you have adequate knowledge as above

The submission should include:

  • academic study relevant to each of the knowledge areas
  • any other material you believe would help the BLA to assess your knowledge; for example, if you have been employed by a Victorian estate agent, a statutory declaration from your employer outlining their understanding of the nature and extent of your knowledge of Victorian estate agency law, practice and procedure, including accounting.

Anyone providing a statutory declaration on your behalf should address each of the knowledge areas required. You should inform them you are making an application under section 14(3) of the Estate Agents Act 1980 for an estate agent's licence, rather than obtaining qualifications specified under section 14(1) of the Act. It will help the process if they can demonstrate they are aware of this in the statutory declaration.


You are automatically ineligible to be licensed if you are:

  • under 18 years of age; or
  • a represented person under the Guardianship and Administration Act 1986 (where a guardian or administrator has been appointed); or
  • as an individual or as a director or officer of a company, currently disqualified from holding an estate agent's licence (or equivalent) anywhere in Australia or elsewhere, or the subject of an order by any regulatory body disqualifying you or the company from acting as an estate agent or equivalent.

You may also be ineligible if:

  • you are currently insolvent under administration (bankrupt, debt agreements under Part IX or Part X); or
  • within the last 10 years, you have been convicted or found guilty (whether or not a conviction was recorded) of a disqualifying offence involving fraud, dishonesty, drug trafficking or violence which is punishable by imprisonment for three months or more (whether or not a sentence of imprisonment was imposed); or
  • you have ever had a claim admitted against you from the Victorian Property Fund or Estate Agents' Guarantee Fund.


For bankruptcy, disqualifying criminal offences and claims against the Victorian Property Fund or Estate Agents' Guarantee Fund you can still apply for, and may be granted, a licence. Based on the result of background checks, you may be required to apply for permission to be licensed. The BLA will write to you. For more information, view our Disqualification and permissions page.


The application fee for 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022 is $392.40.

The application fee must be paid at the time of application. The fee is non-refundable.

Records checks

You must submit a consent form and certified copies of the required identity documents as part of your application. For more information, view our Records checks page.

The correct documents, properly certified, will help your application avoid delays.

The BLA will conduct checks with the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) and other agencies to verify your eligibility to hold a licence. Any disputes about the accuracy of the results of the checks will be referred to the ACIC. Visit the ACIC website.

Providing incorrect information

It is a serious offence for a person to knowingly make a false or misleading statement in relation to a licence application. Significant fines apply.

Unlicensed trading

Unlicensed estate agents are liable for significant fines.

If you intend to operate through a company, that company must also be licensed. View our Apply for an estate agent’s licence - company page.

How to apply

You must use our online myCAV system to apply for recognition of an overseas estate agent’s licence.

To start using myCAV, you will need to create your own myCAV account, using a personal email address to verify your identity and sign in to your account.

Complete and lodge your application in myCAV:

Start application

For more information, view our About myCAV page.

Additional documents required with the application

You must attach the following additional documents to your application in myCAV:

After you lodge your application

Processing time

To avoid delays, please complete the application correctly in myCAV and attach all necessary documents.

If the form is completed correctly and all necessary documents are attached, the average processing time is approximately 6 weeks or longer in some circumstances.

You must not conduct business as an estate agent unless the Business Licensing Authority grants you a licence.

Additional information

When considering your application, the BLA may require you to provide further information. Communications such as requests for further information will be sent to you in myCAV. Please check the 'Notifications' in your myCAV account.

Change of information

If any change occurs in the information you have provided in your licence application, you must notify the BLA in writing using the BLA enquiry form within 14 days of becoming aware of the change.

Sharing your information

The BLA gives your information to:

  • Consumer Affairs Victoria
  • other law enforcement and regulatory bodies.

These organisations may report any relevant information to the BLA.

For privacy information, view our Information and privacy - Business Licensing Authority page.

Withdrawing your application

You can withdraw your application in writing using the BLA enquiry form at any time before it has been determined by the BLA. Please note that the fee is non-refundable.

Refusal of application

If your application is not successful, you will be notified via myCAV. You can appeal the decision by applying to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) within 28 days of the decision.

Successful application

If your application is successful, you will be granted an estate agent's licence which is ongoing unless surrendered, suspended, disqualified or cancelled. You can view and print a copy of your licence certificate in your myCAV account.

Once you are licensed, you should familiarise yourself with your ongoing obligations and licensing requirements.

Conditions on a licence

The BLA may impose conditions:

  • which must be complied with before the BLA grants a licence
  • on granting a licence
  • at any time after a licence is granted.

The BLA may also vary or revoke any conditions or restrictions imposed on a licence at any time.

Where to next: