Movable dwelling guide

Skip listen and sharing tools

Download this guide in Word format: Movable dwelling guide (Word, 52KB) 

Park operators must give prospective site tenants this guide before they sign a site agreement. You can read more about renting guides at Resources and guides overview.

Site agreements

Before you sign a new or renewed site agreement, the park operator must provide you with certain information and documents required by law. The site agreement must also set out any charges (such as exit fees) that will apply when the you leave the park. For more information, visit Site agreements in residential parks and villages.

The operator must give you a copy of the agreement at least 20 days before asking you to sign it. We recommend getting independent legal and/or financial advice before you sign.

You also have five business days to cool off (change your mind) after you sign. For example, if you sign the agreement at 4.30pm on a Monday, you have until 4.30pm on the following Monday to cool off. You do not count weekends or public holidays within that period.


Park operators must not unlawfully discriminate (or tell their agent to unlawfully discriminate) against you. For example, they must not discriminate against you because of your sex, age, disability, race or religion when deciding whether to rent you a site.

For more information, visit Unlawful discrimination.


Unlike other renting situations, it is rare for a site tenant who owns their dwelling to be asked to pay a bond.

Condition reports

The park operator must give you a condition report. They must fill in their part of the report, sign it and give you two copies (or one electronically) before you move in.

Inspect the site and add your own notes on its condition, including any damage. Take photos if you can. Give one copy of the completed, signed report to the operator within five business days of moving in.

Note: Keep your copy of the condition report. You might need it if there is a dispute about the condition of the site when you move out.

Repairs, maintenance and safety

You are responsible for:

  • repairs to your dwelling
  • maintaining your site and dwelling in line with the general standards of the park, set by the park operator and provided to you in the park rules at the beginning of your occupancy
  • keeping your site reasonably clean and tidy
  • following the park rules.

The park operator is responsible for:

  • repairs to sites, including any structures or fixtures owned by the operator
  • repairs to communal park facilities
  • keeping the park’s common areas, facilities, gardens, roadways, paths and recreation areas clean and safe
  • garbage collection.

If you or your visitor cause damage to a communal park facility or a site, you must either:

  • repair the damage, or
  • notify the park operator and pay compensation for the damage.

Process for repairs

Use Consumer Affairs Victoria’s ‘Notice to part 4A site owner’ form to notify the park operator when a site or a park facility needs repairs.

The operator is responsible for repairs to sites and park facilities. However, you may be asked to arrange and/or pay for repairs if you caused the damage. You must continue to pay rent while waiting for repairs to be done.

If you report a problem with communal park facilities, the operator must organise repairs as soon as practicable.

For more information, and links to relevant forms, visit Repairs under a park site agreement.


If a site tenant or their visitor is being violent or putting anyone in the park in danger, the park operator can give that person a ‘Notice to leave’ or an immediate ‘Notice to vacate’. The person must then leave the park immediately.

The operator can also give a site tenant a 14-day ‘Notice to vacate’ for serious threats or intimidation.

For more information, visit Violent and dangerous behaviour – caravan parks.

For information on your renting rights if you are affected by family violence, visit Family violence when renting.

Rent increases

The park operator can increase your rent only once in any 12-month period.

Your site agreement may state that rent will increase either by a fixed amount (for example, a dollar amount or percentage) or by a non-fixed amount.

  • If the rent increase is by a fixed amount, the operator must give you written notice at least 28 days before the increase comes into effect.
  • If the rent increase is by a non-fixed amount, the operator must give you written notice at least 60 days before the increase comes into effect.

If you think a non-fixed rent increase is too high

You can ask Consumer Affairs Victoria to investigate whether the increased rent is too high, if the increase is a non-fixed amount. We will compare it to the rent for similar sites.

You must contact us within 30 days of receiving a rent increase notice.

After we give you our rent assessment report, you have 30 days to apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a hearing. VCAT may set a maximum rent, which applies for six months.

Extra fees and costs

The park operator must not ask for payments that are not part of your site agreement. However, they are allowed to charge you a reasonable extra charge for any visitor who stays on your site.

If you have made a payment that you think was not part of your site agreement, you can apply to VCAT for a hearing. VCAT may order the park operator to pay you back.

Utility charges

If you have paid a utility charge that was not your responsibility, you can give the park operator a ‘Notice to Part 4A site owner’ requiring them to pay you back.

For more information, visit Paying for utilities, phone and internet.

Threat of eviction

A park operator cannot evict you for exercising your legal rights or saying you will do so. They can only end your site agreement for specific reasons. They must give you the required amount of notice and use the correct ‘Notice to vacate’ form.

If you are worried about getting a notice to vacate or getting evicted, contact us for information and advice.

Park closure

If your residential park is closing, you may be eligible for compensation. For more information, visit If a caravan or residential park is closing.

Disputes between residents

The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria can hear disputes between park residents and help them reach agreement. Visit

If your park has a residents committee, the committee may also be able to help resolve this type of dispute.




When to contact

Phone number


Consumer Affairs Victoria

If you have questions about renting agreements, bonds, rent increases or repairs

If you are being evicted

1300 55 81 81

Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA)

To look up your bond, transfer a bond or arrange a bond refund

1300 137 164

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

To apply for a hearing about a renting dispute

1300 01 8228

Tenants Victoria

If you need help from a support worker

03 9416 2577

Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service (VALS)

If you are an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person and need legal help

1800 064 865

Housing Victoria (Department of Families, Fairness and Housing)

To apply for a bond loan

If you have nowhere to stay

1800 825 955
(24 hours)