Sharing in a rooming house

Skip listen and sharing tools

What is a rooming house?

A rooming house is a building where one or more rooms are available to rent, and four or more people in total can occupy those rooms.

A rooming house resident is a person who rents a room in a rooming house as their only or main residence. A resident does not need to have a tenancy agreement to live in a rooming house.

The Minister for Housing can also declare a property as a rooming house.

Also, in most rooming houses:

  • residents share bathrooms, kitchens, laundries and other common areas
  • the owner and their family do not generally live on the premises, and
  • separate rental agreements may exist for different residents.

A rooming house resident can have:

  • an ‘exclusive room right’, where they occupy the room alone or with people they choose to share it with
  • a ‘shared room right’, where the rooming house owner can choose the other occupants of the room.

Before you agree to move into a rooming house, the owner must give you a: 

Sharing a room in a rooming house

If you have a shared room right, the notice you receive from the owner must state:

  • the maximum number of people you can share with
  • that the owner has the right to choose the other residents of the room
  • that the owner does not have to notify you of another person moving into the room
  • how much rent you will pay
  • the rent payable if it were not a shared room.

Download a Rooming house residency agreement (Word, 782KB)

To find a registered rooming house, use our Public register of rooming houses search.