Mutual recognition of interstate and New Zealand registration

Skip listen and sharing tools

On this page:

Before you apply

Individuals with an equivalent licence or registration in an Australian state or territory that is participating in Automatic Mutual Recognition (AMR) may be able to practice as a professional engineer in Victoria by submitting an AMR notification. You will not be granted a Victorian professional engineer registration. For more information, view Automatic mutual recognition.


To apply for mutual recognition to work as a professional engineer and endorsement to work in the building industry (if required) in Victoria, you must hold a current equivalent interstate or New Zealand registration as a professional engineer.

Mutual recognition is only available for individuals, not companies.


You are ineligible to register if you are:

  • disqualified from registration, or have had your registration cancelled, in Victoria or another state or territory
  • a represented person under the Guardianship and Administration Act 1986, or
  • not a ‘fit and proper person’ to provide professional engineering services.

What is a ‘fit and proper person’?

To decide whether you are a fit and proper person to provide professional engineering services in an area of engineering, the Business Licensing Authority (BLA) may have regard to whether you:

  • have been convicted or found guilty in Victoria or elsewhere in the last 10 years of:
    • an indictable offence (for information about spent convictions, view the Spent convictions page)
    • an offence under a state, territory or Commonwealth law regulating to the provision of professional engineering services
  • have been suspended under the Professional Engineers Registration Act 2019 or Commonwealth, state or territory law registering engineers to practise, and the reasons for that suspension
  • are or have been insolvent under administration or the officer of an externally administered company (see the definition of 'officer') under the Commonwealth Corporations Act 2001, and
  • have failed to comply with an order of a Victorian, Commonwealth, state or territory court or tribunal.

Endorsement to work in the building industry

You will be ineligible to have your registration endorsed to work in the building industry if you are not a fit and proper person under the Building Act 1993.


These fees apply from 1 July 2023 to 30 June 2024.

  • Initial registration (for 3 years) – practising professional engineer - $528.10
  • Initial registration (for 3 years) – non-practising professional engineer - $179.20
  • Initial endorsement (for 3 years) - $234.50

The fees must be paid at the time of application. The fees are the same if you apply for registration in one area of engineering or multiple areas of engineering.

The fees are for registration and endorsement and are for three years.

See more information on professional engineers fees and forms.

Providing incorrect information

It is a serious offence to give information to the BLA that is known or believed to be false or misleading in a material particular. Significant penalties apply, view Penalties.

Unregistered trading

It is an offence to provide professional engineering services without being registered and endorsed, if applicable. Significant penalties apply, view Penalties.

Regulatory bodies

The Business Licensing Authority (BLA) is the government body responsible for:

  • considering and deciding applications for registration and endorsement, and
  • considering and deciding applications for renewing registration and endorsement every three years.

How to apply for mutual recognition

You cannot operate in Victoria using your interstate or New Zealand registration without first making an application for mutual recognition.

Create your myCAV account

You will need to complete and lodge your application for mutual recognition in our online myCAV system.

To start using myCAV, you must create your own myCAV account.

To do so, you will need a personal email address to verify your identity. Your email address and password will then form your unique, secure access to the myCAV system.

For more information on using myCAV, view About myCAV – Registration and licensing.

Create or sign-in to your myCAV account

The BLA will start taking applications from 1 July.

Supporting documents you must submit

You must attach the following additional documents to your application in myCAV:

  • Copies of one of the following identification documents (does not need to be certified):

o Birth certificate
o Drivers licence
o Current passport, or passport that expired in the past two years.

  • A copy of your current professional engineer licence or registration certificate issued by the relevant interstate or New Zealand licensing body.
  • A completed Notice verified by Statutory Declaration (Word, 48KB) that meets the requirements of section 19 of the Commonwealth Mutual Recognition Act 1992 or section 18 of the Trans-Tasman Commonwealth Mutual Recognition Act 1997, as applicable.

The correct documents will help your application avoid delays.

After you lodge your application

The BLA will contact the interstate or New Zealand registration body you are registered with to verify the information provided in your application.

Deemed registration

When you lodge a valid mutual recognition application, you are deemed in Victoria to be registered as a professional engineer and, if you also applied for endorsement, an endorsed building engineer. You can work as a professional engineer and an endorsed building engineer until the BLA makes its decision.

While you are deemed to be registered and endorsed, if applicable, you are bound by the laws and disciplinary provisions of the Professional Engineers Registration Act 2019 (the Act), Building Act 1993 and other relevant Victorian laws. You should familiarise yourself with your ongoing registration and legal obligations in Victoria.

Processing time

To avoid delays, please complete the application correctly and attach all necessary documents. The average processing time for an application for registration is expected to be 28 days.

Additional information

When considering your application, the BLA may require you to provide further information. You will be advised by email if further information is required. The BLA may refuse your application if you do not provide this within a reasonable timeframe.

Change of information

If any change occurs in the information you have provided in your application, you must notify the BLA in writing within 14 days of becoming aware of the change. View Update your details.

There is a penalty for failing to notify the BLA of change of registration information. View Penalties.

Sharing your information

The BLA gives your information to:

  • Consumer Affairs Victoria
  • Victorian Building Authority, if you are applying for endorsement, and
  • other law enforcement and regulatory bodies.

These organisations may report any relevant information to the BLA.

For privacy information, view Information and privacy – Business Licensing Authority.

Withdrawing your application

You may withdraw your application in writing at any time before it has been determined by the BLA.

Unsuccessful application

The BLA may postpone or refuse your registration if:

  • any statements or information in your application are materially false or misleading
  • your interstate or New Zealand registration certificate is not provided, or is materially false or misleading
  • the occupation you seek recognition for in Victoria is not equivalent to your interstate or New Zealand registration
  • your circumstances have materially changed since lodging the application.

If the BLA refuses your application or you disagree with the conditions or restrictions, you can apply to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal for a review of the decision.

Successful application

If your application is successful, you will receive confirmation of your professional engineer’s registration through myCAV. You will receive an email to advise that your certificate is available in myCAV.

You can view and print a copy of your registration certificate in myCAV. Your registration certificate will list the areas of engineering in which you are permitted to provide professional engineering services in and for Victoria.

If you have been granted endorsement, it will also list the areas of engineering in which you are permitted to work in the building industry.

Your registration is for three years from the date it was granted by the BLA. You may surrender your registration or endorsement, if applicable, before the three-year period expires or your registration or endorsement may be suspended or cancelled. View Maintain your registration.


For information on how to renew your registration, view Maintain your registration.

Conditions on a registration or endorsement

The BLA may impose conditions on your registration or endorsement, if applicable, including to achieve equivalence between your interstate or New Zealand registration and your Victorian registration. You must comply with these conditions when providing professional engineering services in and for Victoria.

Where conditions are imposed on your registration or endorsement under the Act, you may appeal the decision to impose those conditions by applying to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) within 28 days of the decision.

Definition of ‘officer’ under the Corporations Act 2001

Section 9 of the Commonwealth Corporations Act 2001 defines ‘officer’ as:-

officer of a corporation means:

(a) a director or secretary of the corporation; or
(b) a person:

(i) who makes, or participates in making, decisions that affect the whole, or a substantial part, of the business of the corporation; or
(ii) who has the capacity to affect significantly the corporation's financial standing; or
(iii) in accordance with whose instructions or wishes the directors of the corporation are accustomed to act (excluding advice given by the person in the proper performance of functions attaching to the person's professional capacity or their business relationship with the directors or the corporation); or

(c) a receiver, or receiver and manager, of the property of the corporation; or
(d) an administrator of the corporation; or
(e) an administrator of a deed of company arrangement executed by the corporation; or
(f) a liquidator of the corporation; or
(g) a trustee or other person administering a compromise or arrangement made between the corporation and someone else.