This paper examines issues regarding:
- the Sale of Land Act 1962, which governs the sale of land in Victoria
- the small business statement contained in the Estate Agents Act 1980.
This paper is divided into six parts, covering:
- the sale of land process
- buying property off the plan
- terms contracts and other specialised sale of land contracts
- sale of land and business protections within the Estate Agents Act
- modernisation of the Sale of Land Act
- dispute resolution, offences and remedies.
Throughout the paper, issues have been raised for consideration and comment. Many have been highlighted by stakeholders during preliminary consultation for the Consumer property law review.
The issues paper does not provide data or evidence to substantiate the issues raised; its purpose is to draw out evidence and commentary from stakeholders about the nature of issues and extent of any problems.
Feedback on this issues paper will inform the development of an options paper on potential legislative changes. Submissions on the options paper will inform the government in determining final legislative reforms.
Public consultation on this issues paper closed on 13 May 2016.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following public submissions were made:
- Gloria Ammerlaan (Word, 82KB)
- Australian Institute of Conveyancers (Word, 51KB)
- Brand Partners Commercial Lawyers (PDF, 226KB)
- Rod Clark (Word, 81KB)
- Russell Cocks (Word, 47KB)
- Deposit Power (PDF, 489KB)
- Andy Edis (Word, 80KB)
- Finance Brokers Association of Australia (PDF, 207KB)
- Larry Green (Word, 82KB)
- Institute of Legal Executives (Word, 243KB)
- Norbert Iszak (Word, 17KB)
- Jims Conveyancing (Word, 1.06MB)
- Keatings Real Estate (PDF, 866KB)
- Law Institute of Victoria (PDF, 1.02MB)
- David Lloyd and William Rimmer (Word, 25KB)
- Murray McCutcheon, Russell Cocks and David Lloyd (Word, 34KB)
- Jacqui Middleton (Word, 81KB)
- Norton Gledhill Commercial Lawyers (PDF, 635KB)
- Michael Patchell (Word, 81KB)
- Real Estate Institute of Victoria (PDF, 1.08MB)
- Cameron Ryan (Word, 84KB)
- Strata Community Australia (Vic) (Word, 84KB)
- Norrie Strintzos (Word, 84KB)
- Brad Teal (Word, 83KB)
- Marianne Tootell (Word, 81KB)
- Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (PDF, 837KB)
- Cameron Way (Word, 83KB)
- Stephen Whitelaw (Word, 86KB)
Download the issues paper